Monday, December 7, 2009

It's not my business anyway

I decided that I should read what other people were bloggin about, just so I could keep up with the public's desire for information and discussion. That was a bad idea! Do you realize how many different kinds of writings, discussions, blogs, news articles etc. are out here around issues that don't enhance our lives in any way. Do I need to know who Tiger Woods slept with? Do I care when, where or how they got together? Will I grow spiritually from knowing any of this? Will I make the world a better place because I know this?

I often work with children and they keep up with some of this useless information too. They use this to create some of the categories in their own lives. Should a seven year old girl be calling a seven year old boy her "man", and be exhorting him to only listen to her. To change our world we have to be different and show our children what a different world might be, one that doesn't include who is sleeping with whom.

We have choices, Entertainment Tonight or a good book, beautiful music, or the News, quiet meditation, journal writing, or gossiping . Our spirits want something of value. If we look up and find all the beauty in the world, our desire for the spiritual "junk food" should lessen. Let's help each other in every conversation point to the best we can be. Love ya!

1 comment:

  1. Overall, I think that you are correct.

    Still, as an educator, ethicist, and cultural critic, I think that we have to keep updated (while not becoming innudated or indoctrinated) on what's making the "news," and thus capturing the moral imagination of folks. Afterall, in order to truly subvert the "junk," we have to know what's happening for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete