Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Going Home (A Story)

There was an old lady who felt her life on earth should end.  She believed that she was ready to go.  She reminisced about all her work on earth.  She said , "I know I will be able to go home.  I have been in the kitchen of that church every weekend.  I taught Sunday School for 50 years.  I led the missionaries even longer than that.  There was not a program that happened that I did not attend.  I always raised the most money every Women's Day.  I am sure they will be happy to see me come home."  She called for angels to come and take her home to God.

When her call reached heaven, God sent Gabriel to respond to her request.  Gabriel came to her early one morning and gently woke her.  She was startled that she was awakened. She asked him why he awakened her; didn't this trip usually take place during sleep?  Gabriel responded, "I can't take you."  "Why?" she was now a little worried.  Gabriel responded, "The Father wants to get to know you a little better.  You seldom prayed, and there was no obvious joy in your life.  We don't have many records of you saying thank you.  Yes, you slaved in your church kitchen, but life is built on relationships and the first relationship you should have built with God.  Because you neglected that relationship the rest of the relationships you could have had and did have suffered.  Even you being a missionary did not stem from the love of God in your heart being expressed and sent out over the world.  Love without love of God is merely a shadow of what could be.  For God is love.  But because God loves you, you are being given some more time to find love, peace and joy.  I am sure when it is really your time you won't have to call; your love will draw you to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment