Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Don't be surprised - Darwin is not the only one re-interpreted!


The one comment I remember from the Nightline segment on the movie made about Darwin, is the amazement of the commentator about the re-interpreting of Darwin's work. He added to this how Darwin is probably more polarizing now than he was 150 years ago.

We don't live in the context or environment in which Darwin wrote. Each generation does its' own editing and even when they speak of the original text they do not speak of it from the context of when it was written.


The number of voices who wish to explain Darwin to us are no different than those who are re-interpreting God. In this culture, in this environment, how we understand God is somewhat different than how others of another time and place or culture understood God. For me there seems to be a lesson in there somewhere for us. I know my next words are going to be hard for some, I hope you will comment and tell me what you think is wrong with (or right with) what I think. I think the lesson is WE ARE NOT HERE TO AGREE! Gasp! I don't have to see or understand or believe what you believe about God. For those of you who are creationist, I know you believe in contrast, since you believe God made us. God made this contrast.


For those of you who have already grown up and don't care how anyone re-interprets our understanding of God. My hat is off to you, for the other lesson is, we each have a right to our own re-interpretation and we don't have to make anyone agree with that interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment